A. How Milla Correspondence Began

I had just turned 27 years old when I was diagnosed with Stage II breast cancer in July 2007, a few days before I was scheduled to move from New York City to London. I went through a lumpectomy surgery, followed by 18-long weeks of chemotherapy and then a prophylactic bilateral mastectomy (that's both boobies for those of you who thankfully never needed to learn the lingo), with the weekly expanding process and then the final exchange surgery. Whew!



Now that my experience is over (not including the stress-inducing follow-up appointments!) I wanted to give a little something back to others in my situation, to the friends and family who provide strength and courage to those afflicted and to benefit charities close to my heart. It took me a long time to figure out how best to channel this need and desire, until two things made me say, "Ja!" (Swedish for "Yes!").

As a child, I would spend hours drawing cards for my mother, who unfortunately lost her battle to breast cancer in 1995. My love for drawing continued and I've kept up my hobby of making personalized cards for people in my life to celebrate very special occasions. At the end of my experience (my final surgery), I had drawn thank you cards that featured two round circles with two dots inside them. This was my depiction of my new breasts.

My friend J thought it was hysterical, and one night over too many glasses of wine, she asked, "Why don't you start a business? I'm sure other cancer-stricken women your age would really appreciate an honest yet witty look at the experience of breast cancer!"

And, so, Milla Correspondence began. I am still in the initial stages of launching the business end of it (see "How to Buy" for the simple steps on purchasing the card collection) but I wanted to share the collection with you as quickly as possible!

Thank you for checking out the Collection and this Site; please feel free to email me with any questions at:
MillaCorrespondence@gmail.com